I’m sure you have come across someone talking about how mankind fell and how it happened because Eve ate an apple (not the actual fruit). You may blame Eve for the fall and may even not like her as a bible character but have you ever stopped to consider Eve’s sin and how you may be doing the exact same thing she did? You may be falling into the great deception yourself.
Almost every sin in this world follows a similar pattern with Eve’s sin because the whole world is still under the great deception of Satan.
Revelation 12:9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Many Christians even though eternally saved and redeemed through Christ, still fall into sin by habit and struggle with a lifestyle of sin. I pray that by studying the pattern of Eve’s sin, you’d be able to identify where you slip up and catch yourself the next time, the devil stands to deceive into sin.
Let’s consider the narration of Eve’s sin
All scriptures used in this article are from the New Living Translation unless otherwise stated
Genesis 3: 1 – 7
1 The serpent was the shrewdest of all the wild animals the Lord God had made. One day he asked the woman, “Did God really say you must not eat the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?”
2 “Of course we may eat fruit from the trees in the garden,” the woman replied. 3 “It’s only the fruit from the tree in the middle of the garden that we are not allowed to eat. God said, ‘You must not eat it or even touch it; if you do, you will die.’”
4 “You won’t die!” the serpent replied to the woman. 5 “God knows that your eyes will be opened as soon as you eat it, and you will be like God, knowing both good and evil.”
6 The woman was convinced. She saw that the tree was beautiful and its fruit looked delicious, and she wanted the wisdom it would give her. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. Then she gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it, too. 7 At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves.
Eve fell because of the amalgamation of 3 factors in her mind;
- She saw that the tree was beautiful
- The fruit looked delicious
- She wanted the wisdom it would give her
These 3 things tagged the Lust of the Eyes, the Lust of the Flesh and the Pride of Life according to the Apostle John are the same 3 factors that undergird any sin man has committed ever since the fall.
1 John 2:16 NIV For everything in the world–the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life–comes not from the Father but from the world.
- The lust of the flesh – a craving for physical pleasure
- The lust of the eye – a craving for everything we see
- The pride of life – pride in our achievements and possessions
Let’s apply it to 2 major sins plaguing humanity;
Sexual sins (fornication, adultery, masturbation, pornography) – These sins usually begin with a craving, an urge which may be caused by biology or by something you see – a sex scene in a movie triggers you to masturbate, a hot girl with her boobs hanging or a hot guy with his pecks peeking through the shirt moves you to want to have sex with them even when you know it’s wrong.
Your eyes have seen something, your body has responded with a craving – an overpowering urge and your mind backs it up with how landing that hot chick would add to your street cred or how you need to regularly satisfy this biological function God has given you. Once the guy or girl is landed, you feel satisfied…been there, done that!
Monetary sins (fraud, scams, gambling, stealing) – Let’s be honest money is attractive! The sight of many zeroes in your account is definitely appealing. The craving for money ( yes it’s a thing) gives you a rush – “I can just place this bet and I may win 10x more!” The best is placed and truly you win then, “Maybe I can place another one and win 100x more’. This craving continues and never stops.
Then you consider what you can do with the money – it starts with noble things like buying something for someone, giving your kids a good education, buying your mum a car and then moves on to excesses like buying the latest mercedes benz, acquiring the most expensive wristwatch, travelling to exotic locations and drinking the world’s most expensive water. Plus it won’t hurt to bag a chieftaincy title or have a street named after you; you can even win a governorship election with the right amount of dough and definitely that would help you change the world.
Ecclesiastes 5:10 NIV Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.
Every sin you can think of follows the same logic – you see it (either with your eyes or imagination), you crave it (excessive and unholy desire) and you consider how it would add to your accolades.
How does this information help you?
If you are not born again, the first step is to surrender your desires, wills, plans, thoughts and everything else to Jesus, accepting him as your Lord and Saviour.
After you’ve become born again, you need to actively combat a life of sin by taking away the power of these 3 things over your life.
According to fire chemistry, there are 3 things needed for a fire to start and continue burning – oxygen, fuel and heat. This understanding is the basis of fire fighting – once any 1 of the 3 is removed, the fire is quenched.
We can apply the same thinking here, using sexual sin has an example;
The lust of the eyes – you need to remove as many eye triggers as you can. (1 Thess 5:24)
- Stop watching movies with sexual content and undertones; any form of sexual activity including kissing.
- Stop listening to songs that promote or acclaim sexual experiences
- Unfollow social media that promote sexual content
- If you are in a relationship, communicate with your partner your struggles and cut off all forms of sexual activity including kissing/touching/cuddling; No! You are not strong enough.
- Quickly take your eyes away from women’s boobs in public and stop checking out men.
- Apply google safe search and safe search on YouTube and other social media platforms so sexual content is barred from your social media
- Let go of sexual partners and delete all the porn on your laptop and cloud storage
For lust of the flesh;
- Renew your mind about sex according to the Word of God.
A summary mind renewal is that Sex (and all sexual activties) was created by God for man to enjoy within a marriage relationship.
- Recognize the scenarios under which you get triggered (time of day, time of the year, time of the month etc.) and plan contradicting actions. E.g as a woman, you are prone to increased sexual craving while you are on your period and while ovulating. If you struggle with sexual sin, it may be wise to plan a fast or volunteer at a church event or visit family and friends until you can break that circle. Or if you notice that you are more prone to sexual temptation after pay day, plan a contradicting activity.
- Flee – once you start feeling the feels, get out of the house, take a walk, listen to Christian music, start a task like washing clothes or cooking, call a friend, listen to sermons on YouTube, workout….just do something that distracts your mind about the situation.
For the pride of life; Renew your mind and Pray! Tell God about your struggles and ask for help.
Whatever type of sin you struggle with, take it up to God in prayer and be vigilant! The devil doesn’t have any new tricks and he has been a liar since the beginning. Ask the Holy Spirit for wisdom and take the necessary steps to combat these 3 things out of your life in whatever form they appear.
If you don’t feel like you fall into any of these sins, still ask the Holy Spirit to reveal areas in your life where you may be following the pattern of Eve’s sin.
God bless you!
Please Like, Share and Comment.